Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95.1a-RC6] Destroyed ship continues firing Squall salvo  (Read 524 times)

Vyn

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.95.1a-RC6] Destroyed ship continues firing Squall salvo
« on: January 29, 2022, 06:44:57 AM »

When ships are destroyed while firing a Squall salvo, they will sometimes continue to fire even after the ship has clearly turned into broken wreckage.

I am not sure what the precise causes of this bug is. Given how many missiles were fired however, I can only speculate that the ship may have been destroyed at the same time it started the Squall salvo, and somehow the weapon did not get the memo that the ship had been destroyed.

Needless to say, this bug can have a pretty dramatic effect, both visually and in terms of gameplay. In the screenshot attached below, the wreckage of an Atlas Mk.II had already been firing its Squall missiles at me for a second or two before I caught on and paused the game, and the salvo continued for a bit afterwards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a-RC6] Destroyed ship continues firing Squall salvo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 06:56:50 AM »

Thank you for the report! This isn't a bug; it's intentional behavior - weapons will finish firing a burst they were in the middle of even if the ship is disabled.

Vyn

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 07:18:22 AM »

Oh, it is intended? I am curious what purpose this serves.

Just for comparison, venting will actually disrupt a Squall salvo, which makes venting more disruptive then having your ship split into two halves.

Although to be fair, I would not mind if venting allowed missile salvos to continue, since it still makes some in-universe sense that venting only disrupts flux-consuming ship functions.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 07:59:38 AM »

(This isn't a good subforum for discussions like that, but in brief it's because I think it's cool when a disabled ship can get a kill from beyond the grave, as it were :) )

Vyn

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 09:08:12 AM »

Thanks for indulging my curiosity! I will admit it is pretty cool for ships to have death throes too, and I have certainly noticed more of that in recent science fiction media. Let's mark this issue as resolved then.